What is ceviche and why is it so f****** good
Peruvian cuisine is a source of pride for us, since, for five consecutive years, our country has been recognized at the World Travel Awards as Best Culinary Destination in South America, as well as Best Culinary Destination in the World. Here Peru By Bus brings you an article about one of the best peruvian dishes: the Ceviche.
Peru is a blessed county with fertile land where you can harvest a variety of products. Also, our great cultural diversity makes possible for us to have an exquisite and varied cuisine. Prestigious chefs from around the world praise the variety and sophistication of the infinity of typical dishes of Peru, highlighting among them the ceviche, the signature food of our country and widely requested by locals and foreigners equally.
Peruvian flavour are derived from the combination of local tradition in combination with techniques learned from Spanish colonization and immigration of other cultures such as the chinese, italian and arabian, which all contribute to the fusion which makes peruvian food stand out amongst the best of the world.
From Peru to the world!
Ceviche is one of the most consumed dishes in Peru and was declared by the Peruvian government as Cultural Patrimony of the Nation. There are many theories about the origin of its name. Peruvian historian Javier Pulgar Vidal states that the name seviche comes from the Quechua word siwichi, which means “fresh fish” or “tender fish”.
The evolution of the dish is very interesting. According to experts in Peruvian history, the ceviche was born on the coast of Peru, two thousand years ago, with the Mochica culture. It seems that these natives prepared a dish based on fresh fish cooked with the fermented juice of the local fruit, tumbo.
Later, in the Inca empire, the first settlers macerated the fish with chicha, a local drink. Afterwards, with the arrival of Spanish colonizers, ingredients from Mediterranean cuisine such as lemon and onion were added.
Today, the basic ingredients for the preparation of ceviche are: fresh white fish cut into pieces, lemon juice, red onion, red chili, coriander and salt.
Benefits of eating ceviche
Ceviche is a low-fat dish, which makes it a special meal for those who want to lose weight. Also, this food has highly nutritious ingredients that contribute to improving our health.
Do you eat ceviche often? Find out how this typical dish is strengthening your body:
- The presence of lemon, fruit rich in vitamin C, helps to strengthen your immune system, thus preventing the appearance of diseases.
- The spiciness of pepper is due to capsaicin, a substance that raises the temperature of your body, increasing the caloric expenditure.
- Onions, rich in vitamins, minerals and flavonoids, maintain normal blood glucose levels.
- Corn, besides being low in fat, is a food rich in fiber that maintains the balance of your gastrointestinal system.
- Sweet potato is a tuber that provides minerals such as potassium, magnesium and phosphorus, which prevents diseases and retard aging due to its antioxidant properties.
Recipe for the best ceviche!
A golden rule for preparing a delicious ceviche that everybody enjoys is to choose fresh fish. Consider this basic rule and get ready to prepare this fantastic dish.
- 1 kilo of fish
- 1 unit of chili pepper
- 1 unit of rocoto
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of lemon juice
- 1 piece of onion
- 2 teaspoons of coriander
- 1/2 teaspoon of pepper
- 2 tablespoons of fish stock
- 1 sweet potato unit
- Choclo parboiled and shelled
- Corn nuts (know in Spanish as cancha serrana)
- Cut the fish into cubes.
- Peel the chili pepper and cut it into cubes.
- Cut the rocoto into rings.
- Place the fish in a bowl.
- Add the salt, the lemon juice and the chili pepper.
- Add the cut onion, cilantro, pepper and fish stock.
- Parboil a sweet potato, peel and reserve.
- Serve the ceviche accompanied by corn, sweet potato and corn nuts.
- Decorate with rocoto slices.
#KeepInMind: Do not squeeze the lemons with much strength; otherwise, it will release a bitter juice and will damage the preparation.
For more content like this, don’t forget to subscribe to PeruByBus.https://perubybus.com/eating/ceviche-peru/https://perubybus.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Ceviche_with_cancha_at_Peruvian_Market_Caracas-1.jpghttps://perubybus.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/Ceviche_with_cancha_at_Peruvian_Market_Caracas-1-150x150.jpgEatingCeviche,Eating,Food,Peru,Peru by bus,Peruvian FoodPeruvian cuisine is a source of pride for us, since, for five consecutive years, our country has been recognized at the World Travel Awards as Best Culinary Destination in South America, as well as Best Culinary Destination in the World. Here Peru By Bus brings you an article about...PeruByBusjavier email@example.comAdministratorPeru By Bus